The Northern Nevada Business Weekly seeks a reporter with a diverse portfolio of skills for a full-time position in Reno, Nevada. The ideal candidate will spend most of their time covering the growing business environment in the Biggest Little City. The candidate must possess a nose for news, a knack for analyzing data and a keen understanding of Northern Nevada’s ever-evolving economic landscape and how it affects businesses and the professionals who operate them. This position is more than just features on new companies — it requires developing innovative story ideas to reach multiple audiences, from small business to C-suite.
Send a cover letter, resume, three references, 5 clips and 3 photo examples in an email with “NNBW reporter” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Generate/produce several stories per week, including taking photos and video.
- Demonstrate effective use of social media (with a focus on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook) to source stories and drive traffic to our website and print product.
- Ensure accuracy, fairness and correct spelling in all reporting and editing duties.
- Follow direction and vision of the editor.
- Make assigned deadlines without exception.
- Be ethical within the guidelines set by the editor.
- Be a team player and help where needed.
EDUCATION/OTHER REQUIREMENTS: College degree in journalism or communications preferred, but not required. Two-plus years in a newsroom environment preferred, though college graduates will be considered. Must have excellent written/verbal communication skills (ability to speak, read and write English fluently and effectively). AP Style, social media, digital photo experience, driver’s license, reliable transportation and current automobile insurance.
No phone calls please.